Makes 12 cups
Chili is pretty great in the winter! It warms you up on the inside.
Active Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 45 mins
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cup
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife (adult needed)
- Strainer or colander
- Large heavy-bottomed soup pot with a lid
- Large spoon
- Oven mitts
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow or purple onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bell peppers (any color is fine), seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1¼ pound ground turkey or ground chicken
- 2-4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, if you like spicy
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (if you like spicy)
- 2 16-ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well with cold water
- 1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well with cold water
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including the juice
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree
- Extras to add (if you like):
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
- ¼ lime, for squeezing
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
With the help of your adult, put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium.
- Let the pot heat for a minute and when it is hot,
with the help of your adult, add the oil.
- Add the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook on low heat until the onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir from time to time.
- With the help of your adult, add the turkey (or chicken), a little bit at a time, stirring after each addition until it just starts to turn white.
(Wash your hands with soap and water before and after handling turkey or any raw meat.)
- Add the spices and cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and tomato puree and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Take the lid off and cook uncovered for 30 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
For more great recipes,