Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
 
Safety & Prevention
Text Size

Lithium Coin Batteries: A Home Safety Walkthrough

​​​​​

  • Protecting children from a hidden danger

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    ​​​Lithium coin batteries​ are found in many common household devices. They are small—about the size of a nickel—​and if swallowed can cause serious harm. Read on for a room-by-room rundown of where lithium coin batteries may be found in your home, and simple ways to keep children from getting at them.​​

  • ​​Look in each of the following rooms of your home. Follow these 4 simple steps to keep your child safe:

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    1. ​​Look for loose batteries. Get down to your child's eye level to see what they see. Look in couch cushions, on low tables and shelves or any other areas that a child can reach.

    2. Keep batteries in a secure place, up high and out of a child's reach.

    3. Secure battery compartments by tightening the screws or securing them with tape. Tape could ensure the compartment does not accidentally open.

    4. Keep a watchful eye. Toddlers and young children are curious by nature so close supervision is key.​​

  • Entryway

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    ​​Secure lithium coin batteries in wireless doorbells, home security devices and other objects found in your home's entryway.​

  • Living Room

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    Make sure your child can’t get at lithium coin batteries inside remote controls, electronic toys, and on key finders. ​​​

  • Bedroom

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    Check remote controls and decorative electronics like string lights in your bedroom. ​​​​​​​

  • Kitchen

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    Lithium coin batteries are found in items like kitchen scales, along with key fobs and finders left on the counter.​​​

  • Bathroom

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    Keep electronic thermometers up and away after use. Check that children can't get ahold of lithium coin batteries in other items like bathroom scales.​

  • Remember

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    ​If you suspect your child has ingested a lithium coin or other small battery, take them immediately to an emergency room! Your child may not show any symptoms at first, but lithium coin batteries can cause a harmful chemical reaction and burn the esophagus within a few hours. This can be life-threatening. An X-ray can properly diagnose an unintentional ingestion. If you aren't able to drive, call 911 for help.​​

  • Power safely

    FacebookTwitterPinterest

    Duracell and the American Academy of Pediatrics have teamed up on the Power Safely initiative to help educate parents, caregivers, and pediatricians about the importance of practicing lithium coin battery safety throughout the home. Learn more here.

Last Updated
9/29/2021
Source
American Academy of Pediatrics (Copyright © 2021)
The information contained on this Web site should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your pediatrician. There may be variations in treatment that your pediatrician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances.
Follow Us